EP Fastpitch Player Evaluations
We don't call this process "tryouts" anymore, because everyone who registers will be placed on a team, yay! Our primary goal will always continue to be: softball skill development. This applies to players of all ages and all levels of skill.
The purpose of conducting evaluations is to determine team placement. Players who are able to demonstrate the highest degree of skill will be placed on a team with players of similar high skill, to play a tougher schedule of opponents with similar high skill and will also play in multiple tournaments throughout the season. Everyone else will be placed on teams to continue their skill development. Our webpage on Age Division Structure (link) can explain the differences in teams of each age group, including which types of teams will accept friend requests (after all, we're playing softball for FUN, right?).
Player Evaluations will be conducted by a group of coaches outside of the EP Fastpitch Association who will assess each player's skills. EP Fastpitch Board members, including some who may also serve as team coaches during the season, will run the stations (operate the pitching machine, run the timers, hit grounders, etc), but are not involved in the evaluation scoring; any Board member with a daughter being actively evaluated is removed from the EPHS Activity Center interior until their daughter's session is complete. Skill evaluation includes (but is not limited to):
- hitting & bunting,
- infield fielding & throwing,
- outfield fielding & throwing,
- base running.
- pitchers and catchers will be evaluated separately
This is a closed-door evaluation. This process is not unlike the procedures used by other sports clubs- parents must wait outside the Activity Center while evaluations are conducted.
|Sunday, March 10
|EPHS Activity Center
||12:00 - 12:15 pm
||12:30 - 2:30 pm
||2:00 - 2:15 pm
||2:30 - 4:30 pm
||4:00 - 4:15 pm
||4:30 - 5:30 pm
- Arrive at 12pm to sign in, get a number and finish any uniform details; gear out in the bleachers in the Activity Center and begin warmups until 12:30pm.
- Evaluations run from 12:30pm to 2:30pm; athletes who do not intend to be play as a pitcher or catcher on a summer team are excused at the conclusion of Player Evaluations (~1:45-2:00?). Pitchers and Catchers remain for Pitcher and Catcher Evaluations.
- Catchers will gear up and begin Catcher Evaluations immediately after Player Evaluations.
- Pitchers will receive up to 20 minutes to warm up with a volunteer catcher we provide (see below). The pitcher will begin their Pitcher Evaluation when they indicate they are ready (if ready prior to 20 min). Pitchers will not receive more than 20 minutes, so be sure to prepare your pitcher ahead of SUN so that they know how to complete their pitching warmup within the alloted 20 minutes. At the end of the 20 minute warmup period, remaining pitchers will wait in turn to be called up for their evaluation.
- The volunteer catcher will be an adult who is not the pitcher's parent nor an adult with a daughter in the current age group. They will not be allowed to coach (give tips, etc) or decide when a pitcher is ready or not.
- same as above, except:
- check in at 2:00 for numbers, uniform sizing, warmups, etc
- Evaluations run 2:30 - 4:30; non-pitcher/non-catchers should be done (3:45-4:00?)
- check in at 4:00 for numbers, uniform sizing, warmups, etc
- Evaluations run 4:30-5:30
ALL players are encouraged to participate in the Player Evaluations.
If an athlete is unable to attend, they will be placed on teams at the discretion of the EP Fastpitch Commissioners.
When all EP Fastpitch Player Evaluations have concluded (approx 5:30pm), the EPHS Activity Center is available in an Open Gym format until 7:00pm. Players and parents are welcome to work on drills or catch with their child; equipment will not be available (bownets, tees, etc). We will not be conducting Pitching, Catching or Skills Clinics on March 10.